Memories of 'The Greece Experience' group tour 2019

On this amazing adventure with my little group of 9 precious souls, magic happened on a daily basis. We tasted colour, touched and perceived sound, explored the ancient knowledge & wisdom of the philosophers and the healing methods of the theraputae/Essenes. We studied snake goddesses and earth energies, experienced ancient sacred sites, temples, caves and mountains, explored the deep mysticism of the Greek Orthodox churches of Meteora, and of course, the ancient Minoan civilization & Atlantis. Also, the Greek food and hospitality, the friendships made, the unforgettable weather & luck we had and the beauty we were privileged to witness has made this tour unique and precious. I will cherish it always, as it was inspiring not only for me, but also for the other members of the group. We made new friendships and wonderful memories and it was definitely worth all my work, stress and input. All I can do now is share some of my photos (a few of them shared by other group members), and return to my writing table. Heartfelt thanks go to all involved, for without them I would have never been able to pull it off. Deep gratitude. ♥


***

The day had finally arrived! After 9 months of preparation, the Greece Experience group tour was taking off at last. It was May 16th, 2019 and I found myself flying from Toulouse to Athens to arrive one day in advance. As always, Aegean Airlines was a comfortable and smooth experience and I was lucky to have such a clear view over the Pyrenees, the mountain range that separates France from Spain. Scuse the dirty window.


Our hotel in Athens, the Pythagorion, was situated next to the National Theater and just off Omonia Square. Downtown Athens is always busy with traffic - day and night - but having a room at the back of the hotel was actually surprisingly less noisy. I unpacked and rested for a while. Two members of my group, who had also arrived a day early, accompanied me to the Plaka for dinner that evening. The Plaka is the old district just beneath the Acropolis. I called for a taxi from the hotel reception, rather than walking into the street to stop one. If you order a taxi from a hotel reception or a restaurant they will charge you the normal price, while if stopped on the street they may ask for a lot more. Our 15 minute ride ride was only 4,50 euros and we were dropped off at a perfect spot, right on the edge of the Plaka. The timing was perfect: the sun was just setting and the light was now soft and yellow, making the old quarter look magical.



Our walk through the old streets - unplanned and on impulse - led us to a lovely rooftop restaurant where we enjoyed a wonderful light dinner with magnificent views to the city and the Acropolis. I felt lucky to be with two people that I am very fond of on this magical first night in Athens, one of whom took this photo of me while we were waiting for our meals.




We walked back via the lively Monastiraki quarter and Athens street, and during this walk we saw the ancient Roman forum and the Acropolis beautifully floodlit, while the almost full moon was shining down on the rest of the city. In the background, a street band started to play an instrumental version of 'Forever and Ever' (by Demis Roussos). Goose bumps, for that was my song, a favorite from my childhood, the song that never fails to lift my spirit. Somehow this seemingly small detail made everything feel right; almost as if it was all planned out and things were simply falling into place. What an amazing, unforgettable evening this was.



On the 17th May I went to the airport, where I spent the entire day waiting for several other group members who arrived hours apart. It was a long day, but I did get to know Athens airport really well and also found out where to get the best coffee. And it wasn't at Starbucks, although the service was excellent. As usual they'd write your name on your cup, albeit this time in Greek.


At the end of the day when the group was complete we had an amazing dinner at the Alexander the Great restaurant, not far from the hotel. The food was so incredibly good, that I decided to have dinner there again 2 days later, when coming back from the Argolis tour.

The 18th May was our first tour day with the group. Our guide Mariza met us in the lobby of the hotel to take us to the old city center. Today we were going to explore not only the Greek Agora and the Acropolis, but also the Slopes, Pnyx Hill and Aeropagus Hill. In short, a walking tour that was different from all other, more standard tours; one which would take us to ancient sacred places on the slopes, like the caves, and the theater of Dyonisos and the Odeon of Herodus Atticus. Mariza was a star and also helped me organize our lunch stop; a rooftop restaurant (Byron's) with an amazing view. It was now halfway through the day and it was so good to rest and eat. I believe we walked 12 kilometers that day, but it was very special and unique. Below are some photos from this day in Athens.


The statue of Perikles.


Me and my troopers! :)


The Temple of Hephaistos.


Walking tour with Mariza, our guide.


The Theater of Dyonisos.


The Theater of Dyonisos.


The Odeon of Herodus Atticus.


Climbing up the steps of the Acropolis to enter through the Propylean Gate.


We had some time to really be present on this ancient, sacred rock.


Eve Marie Roy and I, standing in the center atop the Acropolis rock.


One of the most important temples: the Erechteion



The Erechteion's most famous feature: the Kariatides.



Walking around the slopes we saw some of the most important caves and sacred places of ancient antiquity.




Dedicated to Artemis, these niches would contain offerings to the goddess, mostly on the subject of fertility.


This is the Aeropagus Hill where St Paul preached to the Athenians in the 1st century CE. For some unknown reason my camera took the photo in Sepia...


Pnyx Hill is the place where democracy was born ca 2500 years ago. It was also a platform for people to speak their minds.



The view from Pnyx towards the Acropolis is amazing, probably the best.


I couldn't resist! :D - Thanks Heidi for taking this photo!


We walked back into the city via the hill of the fairies, and I can understand why the ancient people thought of fairies when they visited this place. It's enchanting.

We had a typical Greek family dinner in a restaurant just off the Plaka, and were able to take a taxi back to the hotel from there.

The next morning (19th May) our guide Mariza met us again in the lobby to join us on the Argolis day. In front of the hotel stood a beautiful blue bus and we met Dimitri, our driver for our entire mainland-arrangement. I always prefer to have the same driver on a tour, so I was happy. We took off and arrived in Corinth to see the famous Corinth Canal, where we had a short pause to stretch our legs and have a coffee. Our first excursion today was the legendary citadel of Mycenae, where we visited the Tomb of Atreus / Agamemnon, the famous beehive tomb that is ca 3600 years old, and the citadel where High King Agamemnon held court at the time of the Trojan War. Below are several photos taken during the visit.




After this visit, which included the museum, we left this ancient prehistoric city to go to Nafplion, a lovely harbor town where we had our lunch.

In the afternoon we paid a long visit to Epidaurus, and not just to see the best preserved antique theater in Greece, but especially the lesser known site of the Sanctuary of Asklepios, the god of healing.


This is the classical theater, unique in its kind.



Flash back: 1992. :)


We talked about the Hermetic Teachings, the Theraputae, the Essenes, and did a very special intonation, one that was most probably done right there on that spot by the ancient Theraputae, to help heal the patients who were resting or sleeping in the Dormitory. This was a very special moment for me, as it was something I had wanted to do for a long time, and today was that day... Many thanks to Herman for leading the intonation so perfectly.



That evening we were having our dinner at the restaurant (Alexander the Great) in Athens at 8 pm sharp, exactly as planned. After dinner it was time to pack our bags, for in the morning we would leave Athens to go to Arachova, near Delphi, for 2 nights.

It is now 20th May and we were all ready to go on a new adventure. The drive to Arachova was smooth and in the bus I could share several important stories. I could also play the music I had brought: ancient music from Hellas, including the Hymns to Apollo; songs that were preserved in stone, text and musical notes and all.


First view of the Parnassos, the sacred mountain where Delphi is located.


Arriving in Arachova at the view point; time to photograph our beautiful bus and amazing driver, Dimitri.


We left our bags at the hotel Anemolia in Arachova, one of my all time favorite hotels, and drove the final miles to Delphi for lunch. In October 2018 I had already discovered this restaurant with its amazing view and I was so happy I had studied a bit of the Greek alphabet back then, so I could read the name of the restaurant for future reservations. It was the perfect place for me and my group to start our adventures in Delphi, with that amazing view of the sacred olive groves and the sea of Corinth below while we had our lunch. The food was wonderful, and again we had that typical Greek family meal with amazing flavors and generous portions to keep us going.

At the Delphi museum we almost missed Penny, our guide, who waited for us inside the building at the ticket office, while we were waiting for her outside at the entrance. Penny was, according to others, quite a celebrity, as she featured in a documentary about Delphi in 2008. She was an amazing guide and we were lucky to have her.



We walked through the archaeological site and Penny left us at the temple, ready to meet another group. She is very popular, so very busy. I was, however, allowed to continue with the guided tour and talked about the Oracle and the Mystery School of Apollo. After that we had some free time at the site.



The site of the Oracle beneath the Temple of Apollo, now no longer accessible because of the earthquakes.


We ended the day at the ancient site of Athena Pronaios, where we had some private time at the Tholos to just be, or meditate. I explained a few things about the Tholos and its mysteries while we were there.

After a visit to the ancient Kastalia Spring we left the sacred grounds of Delphi and went to our hotel where I checked us in. I am forever grateful to Hotel Anemolia for their assistance, kindness, loyalty and amazing hospitality.


On the 21st May we hiked up the Parnassos mountain with Eleni from Trekking Hellas. Nature was in full Spring mode with flowers and sunshine; an enchanting experience.




Beehives. :)



Eleni! She's a wonderful guide. :)



Eve Marie Roy, leading a chant. In prehistoric times, chanting was a method for opening the mind, a way of healing, and a way of tuning into a deeper matrix of being. Today, most of us have become shy and we have closed our senses to sound healing, but when you are deep inside nature in a natural cave that has been sacred for millennia, letting go of that shyness and joining Eve in her chants and sounds can be enormously liberating. And it was...

That afternoon we were free to do what ever we wanted, and I decided to rest and enjoy the amazing views from my room. Being on an active group tour is tiring, but running a tour with all its responsibilities and all the work behind the scenes is at least twice as heavy. However, that evening we were all rewarded with the most amazing sunset during dinner, and of course we had the best tables of the restaurant reserved for us. Endless gratitude.


Even when I was back in my hotel room I could not stop watching the view. I watched it until it was completely dark and then finished my packing, for the next morning we had to get up early again.

It is now early morning on the 22nd May. I opened the curtains and saw in awe the most stunning sunrise I have ever seen, shining a soft, red light over the snow-topped mountains across the valley. Oh I am so in love with hotel Anemolia!


Dimitri and I were in such a holiday mood when we started the road trip, which was in one word stunning. The weather was good, the music was good (traditional Greek music) and our stop in Lamia was perfect. We could even see Mount Olympus in the distance! It was so clear.



Dimitri behind the wheel. :) The new road took us from Lamia to Kalambaka for lunch and we had a wonderful table near the window, especially reserved for us, with a spectacular view to the famous rocks of Meteora. During this tour we bonded; we became a family. ♥



At the hotel, our guide George joined us and we took off to see Varlaam, one of the most beautiful monasteries at Meteora.





This is, by the way, the original Santa Claus or Sinterklaas: Saint Nicolas. :)


When you live in a monastery built atop a high rock with no access, you have to think of a clever way to get goods and people up and down the rock. Well, this is the way. Nets, a strong rope and a big turning wheel.




Better not fall...



Burning a candle at Varlaam on request from beloved friends in Australia. I had no idea if I'd get the chance to do this for them, but miracles do happen. We had to wait for a group before going into the church, and I asked George if I could buy a candle and light it for a beloved friend who had passed away. George asked the priest, who gave me permission to burn a candle, but he asked me to give some money to a poor person in the street, rather than to the monastery. So I made the promise and burned the candle.


Before we left the monastery at 4 pm* I took a deep breath and took in the moment in a deep state of love and gratitude. Suddenly, the priest in the photo above walked up to me, took my hands and gave me a blessing. This was so touching that I nearly cried. I could see the goodness in the priest's eyes, and the peacefulness of his spirit. This would stay with me for a long time.

*[Visiting hours are limited and vary per season.]

We also visited St. Stephanos before we went back to the hotel. I enjoyed the museum and its breathtaking artwork and was also able to buy some locally made rose myrrh and a unique Christmas gift for my sister at the souvenir shop near the entrance, which is run by nuns and supports them in their way of life. And of course there were dogs and cats I had to cuddle while Herman (photo below) and I were waiting for the group at the parking. ;-)


We had some time off at the hotel and the cafe across the street, both owned by the same Greek owner who was able to talk with me in German and told me his life story. It's sad to hear how they are struggling to make ends meet and I would like to express how happy I was to be staying at his hotel, even though it was only for 1 night. It is a very charming, quietly situated hotel called Meteoritis, just outside Kalambaka. Much recommended. You are in the heart of Meteora here, but without the noise of the tourist center. Some rooms have views to die for. Make sure you ask for these when you book your stay.

In the early evening we started an amazing sunset tour with George as our guide, and without him we would not have seen what we saw. Our first stop was at a site hardly anyone knows exists.


Meteora has many monasteries, but also hundreds of tiny cave dwellings, because this amazing area attracted a lot of pilgrims in the Middle Ages. Some are still being used by adventurous travelers; others are rebuilt and inhabited by people who like a quiet life, away from the world.




We went to the most ideal place to watch the sunset: atop a rock with a stunning view. What a wonderful way to do some sun-gazing during that last moment before the sun disappeared.



I couldn't resist.


Flashback 1992. ;-)



And what made it all even more perfect: my favorite song bird started singing, the nightingale. It was magical!

On the 23rd of May we had another road trip, this time we headed to the airport to catch the flight to Crete. On the way we had a wonderful lunch in Lamia, and we stopped at the statue of Leonidas II of Sparta at the site of the Battle of Thermopilae. It was here, in the sufficating heat, that I noticed a very thin, poor man begging for money. I remembered the priest at Varlaam and gave him some money and my protein bar. It felt so good to be able to keep my promise. He was over the moon when others from my group did the same. I love my troopers!


The flight to Crete went very well and late that night we arrived at our 4 star resort in Sissi, where we stayed 3 nights. I was happy to see we all had rooms with sea views, and the resort was built like a village, which was much nicer than a tower block. It had a village feel to it, and a lovely pool. The sound and scent of the sea was beautiful and I so loved the sunsets!



The day after, on the 24th May, we met our fabulous guide Kostas, who took us to the Minoan city of Knossos and the Zeus Cave. This was such an amazing day! And apart from Kostas being a professor of archaeology specialized in Minoan history, I also found out he was interested in the Cathars! He couldn't believe that was my field, so we will definitely keep in touch. :) There is a direct flight connection between Carcassonne and Heraklion. ;-)


We had a wonderful tour through the ancient Minoan city of Knossos and one of the group made a very wise suggestion: Perhaps the horns of the sacred bull were aligned to the hill in the distance? And Kostas told us that the hill is indeed sacred; it was once the site of a temple. Later, a church was built on the hill, on the left hand side, but the site of the temple has been left open. Below are the photos of the sacred hill and the bull's horns:




We walked on, and saw beautiful things...






When Knossos was found, and the Minoan culture was studied, the information had come forward that the Minoans were matriarchal. Important people and royalty therefore enjoyed having their photograph taken on the throne at Knossos in a very unusual way, to make a point, I guess...




The snake, ever present in ancient Hellas.


After walking over the oldest paved street in Europe, we left the prehistoric site and went to our lunch address in the mountains near the Lassithi Plateau.


We had an amazing lunch here and I had to discourage the restaurant from pouring my group too many ouzo's, lol! Much recommended, on the road to Lassithi, Niki's place!



I so love Crete! Shepherd with his sheep crossing the street.

We spent the remaining hours of that afternoon at the Zeus Cave; an amazing site, most sacred. And when Eve began to chant, the world just stood still...



The next morning, 25th May, we took the ferry to Santorini. Oh happy day!



Way better and faster than donkeys, I can asure you. ;-)


The view from the bus to the Caldera.


Kostas gave us the most amazing tour through Akrotiri, the site that may have been the ancient lost city of Atlantis (theories vary). In any case, it was the site of a major volcanic eruption that destroyed a high civilization around 1650 BCE. After the eruption, the city was swallowed by the sea. Akrotiri was found underneath 20 meters of volcanic material, frozen in time like Pompeii in Italy. After careful excavation, a high civilization was found, most probably early Minoan when comparing various forms of art, culture and religious symbolism, but also inspired by the African and Egyptian cultures. They had the knowledge to construct buildings with multiple floors and indoor plumbing.





Kostas brought books and a tablet with photos, which was fantastic!



The frescoes found at Akrotiri reveal their art, culture and religion and give us an overall impression of peace and happiness. This particular fresco, however, shows an intent to go to war against a foreign country, and according to Plato, this happened at the end of Atlantis - when peace turned into war - and this change of heart eventually caused their downfall.

After the visit we went to Oia, where we had the afternoon off. I had never been to Santorini before and had been quite skeptical, but now I can see why archaeologists believe that Santorini was indeed the site of the ancient city of Atlantis. I will do some more research to see if I can find any other interesting links or explanations. After all, I am still writing my 3rd book. ;-)


The 'Balcony', our meeting point with an amazing view.

Not having been to Santorini before I had also been looking forward to spending some 'me' time in Oia, and I had made a few wishes. One wish was to have lunch right on the edge of the terrace with that magnificent view over the Caldera and the town with the blue chapel and white houses. And following my belly in more ways than one led us to the perfect place. Oh I was so happy! :)




My second wish was exploring the town on my own, to really have some Anneke time. I think I earned that after spending 10 days looking after my group. I enjoyed taking photos, visiting craft shops and simply enjoying the views. I treated myself to 2 souvenirs: blue summer pantalons and a copy (very small one) of one of the frescoes from Akrotiri. I was in the seventh heaven and I didn't think I could be any more happy until I discovered the Greek yogurt icecream salon. :D

Here are some of the photos I took in Oia.











It was a smooth sail back to Crete, but I couldn't get over the possibility that we were sailing right over Atlantis. It was a magical day, for sure.


It was the 26th May, our last day as a group, and we had the morning off to enjoy the resort.


At noon the bus picked us up to take us to the Heraklion Museum, where Kostas explained so many things. All I can do is publish the photos I took as a memory of civilizations lost, mysterious objects and lost religions.





















If I hadn't been so hungry, I could have stayed there for at least another hour. But food was more important to me that moment; I had already skipped 3 evening meals due to circumstances, and my body was really protesting now. So after a wonderful lunch I felt so much better. It was now time to go to the airport to catch our flight back to Athens, where I had one more task to perform: getting us to the Plaka Restaurant where we were expected at 8.15 pm for our last meal together as a group.

The flight with Olympic Air went very smooth and before we knew it we were back in Athens. Dimitri welcomed us heartily and we were all so happy to see him again! He has become family. First he brought us to the hotel where we left our bags in a storage room, and then he took us to the entrance of the Plaka to save us the long walk. The restaurant was only a little bit further down the street. And indeed, at 8.15 sharp we were at the Plaka Restaurant and were immediately shown to a quiet table they had reserved for us, so we could talk. On the other terrace in the main entrance, a band was playing Greek bouzouki music. It was, once again, an amazing dinner.


Herman and I are not only old friends, we were also the only Dutch speaking people in the group, so we spent a lot of time together on this trip. :)


My plan was to give my group a chance to enjoy the Plaka and the souvenir shops and general atmosphere after dinner, and then we'd all make it back to the hotel individually. However, half the group preferred to accompany me to the taxi stand and go back to the hotel right after dinner to get some rest, for the next day, most people would depart. So, this was it. The Greece Experience tour had come to an end, and it was an emotional moment for all of us.

On May 27th I made sure I was in the lobby on time to say goodbye to everyone who was leaving that day. Me and 3 others stayed longer and on my last night in Athens I was accompanied by 2 group members who joined me for dinner in the restaurant in the Plaka where the tour had begun for me on 16th May, and also this time the sunset didn't fail to give me deep joy.

We walked back via Monastiraki and the next day I travelled back to France, back to Peter and my two darling cats, who had missed me so much. Although I'd been away for 12 days, it has been a whirlwind tour through Greece and it feels as if time has gone much faster. We have seen so many things in such a short space of time and I hope that some of the stories, philosophical explorations and Hermetic Teachings I shared during this special tour, either on the bus or on location, have unlocked deeper layers within and beyond our formatted mindset. For it is thinking outside the box and stepping out of that comfort zone of preformed opinion and judgement that ignites personal soulgrowth. There were many sharp minds in my group and I am incredibly proud of them, and grateful for the faith they have placed in me. It is an honour for me to know you all. Thank you for being you!


I have been asked if I would do this particular tour again, but this was the one and only, one time only, Greece Experience tour. However, I can help other tour leaders organize and execute their tours in Greece and give advice where needed. I can also fascilitate retreats on Crete and on Santorini, as well as around Delphi, or organize group tours or excusion tours. I am also looking into organizing a retreat on Santorini or on Crete in the Spring of 2020, so if you are interested in setting something up with me for 2020, then do not hesitate to contact me at anneke@barinca.fr.

Until we meet (again)... Safe travels!


***

Comments